Dynamometer Commissioning for Yacht Testing Towing Tank
Southampton Solent University have a 60m long yacht testing towing tank available for hire. Features include:
- 60m in length, 3.7m wide and 1.8m deep.
- Carriage top speed of 4.0m/s.
- Computer-controlled wave generator.
- Test scale models up to 2m in length and 50kg in weight.
- Test wave and tidal renewable energy devices.
- Can be used for instrument calibration.
The hull models are mounted on a dynamometer suspended from the rolling carriage. Following purchase of a new dynamometer, we were tasked with commissioning the data acquisition software. The Cussons device interfaces to a PersonalIDAQ USB data acquisition system from Measurement Computing via an Excel plug-in.
An initial specification was generated following a requirements analysis stage. Following stages included planning, implementation, documentation and training.
The resulting solution delivered a much enhanced data acquisition system meeting the extremely bespoke needs of the client.